Sunday, August 17, 2008

money, baby

Ah, another long day at the office otherwise known at Times2, otherwise known as the Armpit of New York.

I actually don't find it particularly depressing anymore. And as I sit here, in my favorite pajamas, a brand new black Macbook charging by my feet, life in bleak ol' 2008 seems pretty ok. The LegaBlonde team got pretty deep today - the discussion in front of TKTS was economic crisis, gas prices, radical politics, conspiracy theory; big stuff! And yeah, shit SUCKS all over the place right now. All of my working artist or arts-related friends? You are mad lucky people. The most common topics of conversation nowadays seem to be:

1. taking on too many bread jobs
2. going in for unpaid student films
3. not getting called for anything
and, of course
4. how the fuck do I keep getting up in the morning for all of this?

How indeed!

It's New York (and I gotta stop watching movies about L.A. that make it seem like things might be more fun out there. L.A. is no place for a theatre girl!), and today, I got up for New York. To see my Dad's name on the marquee of the Nokia theatre, and to buy a ticket to see Equus by myself in a few months. Because even though I don't have the spare 80 bucks, I dug it up so I've got something to get up for on October 4th - a date with Peter Schaffer, horses and a play that's so good I could throw up. Say what you will about Harry Potter - I can't imagine how you could fuck that play up so much that I wouldn't love it. It's EQUUS.

Last night, Brother and I stood in the front door of a bar on 46th and watched Phelps & the rest of the American swim team take that final gold and break records. It was pretty awesome. The bar went nuts. It's not very often that I'm psyched to be American - I can probably count those moments on one hand. But yeah. Pretty psyched. Screamin' for some swimmin'.


New pretty Macbook is charged, and I have bread job dos to get up for in the morning. But I also have ALLIES, an At Hand reading, and a gangsta rap video to get up for as well. The newly established music video company has a name (Baby Bear Productions), and four more shoots to do...so look out for more of the gang in coming weeks. In the meantime, I leave you with the finished product of our initial efforts, for those who haven't already seen it twenty times over.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home