Saturday, April 14, 2007

tornado body with a hand grenade head


Brother, Sister & I went on an Urban Adventure today, to a section of Jersey I had not yet explored. Our quest? To see Anthony D'Amato's production of Hedwig & the Angry Inch. Bizarrely, this was the second production I've seen in a week - the first was the Barnard Queer Association's version, up in Morningside Heights, where Sessoms and I found the man who will hopefully be drumming for Hair.

D'Amato's, naturally, surpassed the Barnard production...and the surrounding quest was even longer, with more unusual twists, than the frozen march we took on the West Side a week ago. This one involved multiple trains, checking out the sketchy side of town, fragrant cab rides, witnessing two arrests (!) and a possible drug deal, rocking out in a Dunkin Donuts, and as our last train pulled out of the Asbury Park station, a fist-fight between a couple of kids. But frankly, I rather liked the amount of gritty insanity we witnessed. It made the whole day so much more gorgeous.

No matter what, I lose it during "Midnite Radio." This Miss Hedwig made such an AWESOME transition through the Tommy Gnosis section into that song, I was blubbering like a little girl. Oh, and "Exquisite Corpse"...! When they got into it (and that band fucking rocked that song like it is meant to be rocked; it felt sexy), it pushed right on that little button lodged somewhere in my chest. The button activates the part of me that still longs to be in a rock band and wishes she was free to call Morelli. To put Hideous Underwear back together.

...And you can trace the lines of these erased designs that map across my body
A collage!
I'm all sewn up
A montage!
I'm all sewn up...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home