Friday, June 05, 2009

seduced by the noise and the bright things that glisten

Pre-production for the US reading is in full swing. Rehearsals start on Monday. I never thought I'd get here. Last year, around this time, US Version One went kersplat. I met Foxfire for the first time, when she came into that room with wretched acoustics in the corner of the Shetler penthouse, and blew our minds singing "Alone." I went home and downloaded the song that night (wasn't too familiar with Heart's work back then!). The next morning, I called Deb (musical director for US) and asked:

"Do you really think I oughta hire her without a callback?"

See, in my mind, the character of Brooke Jace was possibly bi-racial, small, and brooding. She definitely had dark features, dark hair, and could rock a leather jacket like this little townie girl I knew from upstate. No one has ever worn a leather jacket as good as that girl did.

Brooke Jace was not a tall, milk-white starlet with shockingly red hair. But Ms. Foxfire Carvajal had a voice that I could not forget. A voice that could and would morph my entire vision of this character.

"I think if you don't hire that girl now, someone else is gonna get her fast," Deb said.

I called Foxfire's agent. When I didn't get the agent, I immediately panicked, and called her manager.

Thus, Team Allies was sort of born.


Tonight, as I tweak the opening of Act II for Monday's rehearsal, I can't help but be grateful for...well...everything. Oh, I know, SHMALTZY Maggie. Thanking the universe again! It's not like that all the time. When things are petty and icky and like, arrgh rehearsal space and arrgh budget, I usually don't feel like blogging. I feel like watching "Superbad" or playing iPod solitaire. I feel like camping out in my house and not returning phone calls. But I have gotten way better, since last year, at that phase lasting one hour, as opposed to one week or one month. And I have been so blessed in 2009, when things are good, it is good to remember to open my arms up and whisper-screech "Thank you!!" to my dark room. To whatever forces are listening.

I am such a hippie.


In eleven days, US will be LIVE! Heard out loud! A tangible something I can point at.

Just the start, really. Aiming for "pet project" phase. Where we build a Manor with magical whirlygigs inside and out, and have King Arthur shows opening in Australia. Ahem.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home